Saturday, December 22, 2007

Charging Tams, The Blue Berries and Golds: On the 33rd YMCA National Congress for College Students

Charging Tams, The Blue Berries and Golds: On the 33rd YMCA National Congress for College Students

A Personal Account


I just came home from a nine day- sojourn in Baguio City. Despite not being able to take my exam in the scheduled date and having missed important requirements (thesis included), such a decision dawned no regret on my part.


I spent the first five days for the 33rd YMCA National Congress for College Students which was actually my third, if not the last. The cold weather of the City immediately as I went down the bus. At a moment, I missed Marga, Joma, and Ghe, even Ira and Sir Rog (who were both with me), my student council family, who were with me last year. Likewise, colleagues Vanj and Jill who were the first few persons I was with when I first laid foot in the Summer Capital. Jill, sadly enough, is already studying in Italy.


After boarding the unusually long jeepney and finally arriving at the Teachers' Camp, I, together with the FEU delegation waited for another four as we billeted in the venue. Surrounded by young student leaders, I realized how time passed quickly; almost unknowingly esp. for someone who is juggling several balls of responsibilities. Faces of Angela, Maverick, Daryl, Aileen and Lance were conscious reminders that time, indeed has only one direction: forward, that is. As a leader it must be paralleled with maturity or growth, if not absolute self-transformation.

TEAM FEU

Generally speaking, the Conference is aloud cry; far better than the previous year. The FEU, surprisingly enough due to the obvious decline of delegation, still performed very well managing to maintain its untarnished record in the YMCA Congress. Personally, it has been a dream come true to me having, finally, brought hiome honor to my university. It is enough reasons to forget my frustrations in SIFE National Expositions 2004 and 2005, Ayala Young Leaders (where I was a national finalist), Search for Jose Rizal Model Student of the Philippines (being FEU's official nominee) and National Scrabble Championships 2006. indeed, it has been God's calling since I really did not have plans of joining, if not for winning the CYC- and ELC-sponsored gabfest.


More notable than winning two medals, perhaps, are the stock of wisdom gained from the speakers and the invisible thread of friendship created during that short span. Below were my commission-mates who deserved, nevertheless, to be treasured:


Perlsan Gardoque (NIPSC)
Raychel Krishna Canon (University of the East Manila)

Myrthylle Karen Rey (Central Philippine University-Ilo-Ilo)
John Albert Banasa (Nueva Viscaya State University)
Joseph Potestades (Southern Luzon State University)
Freddie Caday (ISCAF)
Jessica Biasca (Bicol University)
Felipa Oliquino (Bicol University)
Bethany Magno (University of Baguio)
Ericson Valdez (University of Baguio)
Jessica Bioasca (Bicol University)
Jenyca Maravilla (Bicol University)
Mark Valladolid (Bicol University)
Aja Sagala (MPCF-LC)
Abegail Claravall (Bicol University)
Claudio Meniable (Eastern Visayas State University)
Micheelle Sy Juco (University of the East Caloocan)
Raul Durante (LSPU)
Daryl Pauline Patubo (Far Eastern University Manila)


I enjoyed very much the company of Albert (NVSU) who was with me in the Tuklas Talino where we almost bagged the gold if not for occasional mental lapses. Karen, a very sweet girl from CPU-Ilo-Ilo (an AYLA), modern Krishna from UE Manila and simple Beth, an Igorot folk, and the rest of the guys, were part of the reasons why I loved the congress more than the 31st and the 32nd.

THE OUTSTANDING DELEGATES

***


At the end of the congress, FEU remained victorious havibng bagged tewn Outstanding Delegates awards, a gold medal for extemporaneous, Best Debater individual title, and a bronze in essay writing. It just proves to show that FEU delegation does not only rely on quantity but on quality of its leaders. Afterall, it is not the achievements that count, but the development of one's leadership skills and the opportunity to widen one's sphere of influence that matter most.


***


as a tradition, FEU hosted a culminating party for all the delegates. After munching a couple of chicken breasts, I went back to the cottage and pampered myself with a good night sleep. Well, it had just been timely enough to help me re-energize for the next conference: the 45th National Rizal Youth Leadership Institute.


***


Special mention to Arvin, Aran and Erik, my roommates (salamat sa pananakot sa kin!), Angela, Jane, Aileen, Daryl (mga bunso na nakitulog sa room namin dahil sa takot), Sir Gene, Maam Ala, Sir Joey and Sir Rog (for taking care of the FEU delegation and for the food), CYC Officers headed by Chubby (for ensuring everything was smooth), the entire delegation (who know who you are) and the FEU Community whom we dedicate this achievement. =)

No comments: