Wednesday, December 26, 2007

What it is to Hug a Moon

What it is to Hug a Moon

Just barely a week before the Christmas Eve, the moon could be seen carved to its fullest. It was as though the heavens prepared for it as a sort of exhibit for the viewing public whose heads were lifted up high. It awed me looking at the sight as its bright light ushered my eyes. I was gazing through the window then. Instantly feeling blue (the moon may have powers to make people sad), I thought it would be very comforting to have the moon to hug. It seemed so inviting, uniquely ethereal, magnificently real…

“But what really does it mean to hug the moon?”, I asked myself. As my eyes probed the sky, where that cosmic circle lied, I realized:

“To hug a moon requires no physical contact – at all. It is a state of mind, a silent fleeting of emotions, a feeling. To hug the moon means to dream of and pray for the impossible. For some, it is an escape, a temporal relief, a silent whisper of hope, an interminable curse. Nevertheless, it is still a choice.”

These very thoughts wet my cheeks. I know I have been hugging the moon, not just once nor twice, but several times already. In fact, at that very moment, the moon was even sitting in my lap…

-By: John Paul C. Uminga

No comments: