Friday, October 28, 2005

UNICEF Volunteer Experience-Day One

I woke up early today, prepared my things and rode a cab towards Nicanor Reyes Sr. St. in Manila. Since I have not yet taken my breakfast, I opted to stay at Jollibee Morayta to wait for my companion, Karan Grace Ballon, a junior member of Tamaraw Volunteers, and at the same time, take my long-delayed meal. While letting the time fly, I read the newspaper given to me by the cashier (together with the meal) not discounting the fact that I will be having my first debate class the next semester.

As soon as she had arrived, we left and headed toward the LRT Station via a brief jeepney ride. There had been unforeseen cashualties because of the big swarm of crowd jam-packed inside the train. Not to mention, Karan and I had even literally suffered from walking miles from DLSU to Buendia. Whoa! That was indeed exhausting.

Our 1st day at the UNICEF Office has been our training day. The presence of other UNICEF Volunteers (from DLSU, Lyceum, UST) who attended the Friday's meeting was unfelt. On the other hand, Karan and I were initially introduced with other office staffs working there. Gradually, we were taught the basics of our tasks. Happy by then, we started encoding documents for the organization. We had our lunch with Mr. Ed Vargas and Ms. Glenda who both showed their appreciation with us.

Danilo, who promised to be with me today, as speculated early, was still at Tarlac for unknown reasons. Sooner or later, he will be back but the assurance that he will be working with me at the office is rather not anticipated.

We left the office by 5:00pm.

No comments: