Tuesday, September 20, 2005

On University Preferences

Why FEU, you may ask. Yes! Many had already asked me the very query as if telling me that I should be in, say, a BETTER school. To be absolutely honest, I have never seen myself walking through the streets of Dr. Nicanor Reyes Sr. in Manila, overly exposed to air pollution and yes, to noise pollution as well, while carrying those heavy clearbooks I used to bring even during elementary years. More so, entering the forest of the Tamaraws located at the heart of the university belt had never been in my dreams (well, not even in my nightmares). But look where I am now…

Far Eastern University doesn’t occupy my list of preferred schools way back in high school. Maybe because I haven’t heard its name. Or maybe I’m just too much hyped with more-popular-and-better-universities like the UP-D, PUP, and UST. Maybe, just maybe. The reason why I wrote this blog is to share with you my reasons why I am in FEU now and not to those schools I have mentioned:

UP-Diliman---From the very moment I was born (oops, I’m committing hyperbole now), I had already began dreaming to study in this university. Dream, study, dream, study, study, dream. I keep on dreaming, and of course, studying very hard at the same time. Everything was planned. Someday, I’ll be a UPian. Oh my! It doesn’t realize. My mom forbade me from taking the entrance examination. But why?! FRATERNITIES. There are so many fraternities there son! People there are over intelligent, overindulgent, and impious. They even claim they’re smarter than God and worst, they’re atheists! So many reasons… She won. UP was then crossed out in my list and I cried it the whole night…

PUP----PUP had been close to my heart since most of my relatives had graduated from this state university. Also, many from my godparents do work here (whom who are expected to give me extra money, haha, just kidding). I and PUP are undeniably tightly-knitted. As expected, my mom let me took the examination and I passed with flying colors (98.8%). I was so happy by then. I opted to pursue engineering or chemistry course here. However, these hopeful plans of mine didn’t work out once again. Since “nursing outbreak” is still felt, people around me, close relatives at that, suggested to let me take Nursing as my course in college which I have never thought of becoming of. Once again, they succeeded. Since PUP-Manila doesn’t offer medical courses, I have to choose another school that offers this highly-chosen discipline. With that, I bade farewell to the Pylon.

Polytechnic University of the Philippines


UST--- To be able to study in a University as old as UST, not discounting the fact that our national hero graduated from here, was also once imbedded in my cerebral cells. With the thought that UST has much to offer since its existence is far unreachable, I firmly believed that it could feed my academic starvation to its full blast. Sad to say, I wasn't able to pass the requirements since I was busy that time, reviewing for various quiz bee and inter-school competitions I joined during my Senior year.

University of Sto. Tomas

No comments: